[vdr] Re: Playing DVD ?

Sebastian Kemper wrote:
> Martin Fischer wrote:
>> On Monday 25 August 2003 17:44, Tilo Renkl wrote:
>>
>>>Is really nobody interested in playing DVD's ??
>>>Or is everybody satisfied with current DVD-Plugin ?
>>
>> Not at all :-) I use mplayer for watching DVDs and I'm
>> very satistied with that. With slave mode patch it's great.

> Yeah, sure ;p But what's up with playing featurettes and anything else
> that you get through the menu. "Hey, oh wait...I gotta ssh into my vdr
> box, change the mplayer.sh.conf to play another track and restart vdr
> for the changes to take effect."

I have to agree. Playing DVDs (and (S)VCDs) via mplayer plugin/mplayer.sh
is an ugly hack that I implemented only because quite a lot of people
wanted to have this. It works only for some DVDs and not for others,
because mplayer is so limited, when it comes to changing options during
runtime. Xine can do this. Adding e.g. support for switching to another
DVD track ends in ugly hacks, as the one that was posted recently to the
list (I'm not complaining about this specific patch/addon).
I should have rejected those whishes in the first place...

It would be nice if someone would take over the maintenance of the DVD
plugin.

Cheers,
Juri