[vdr] Re: Playing DVD ?

> Tilo Renkl wrote:
> >
> > Is really nobody interested in playing DVD's ??
> > Or is everybody satisfied with current DVD-Plugin ?
>
> Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
>
> The major problems I see are the sometimes incorrectly displayed
> still pictures for menus, and the complete dropout during FFwd/FRew.
> Sure I'd appreciate if somebody would fix this, but that means
> somebody would have to have time and knowledge to do it...

I refused to buy a DVD player for a long time and was very happy to get the
VDR solution. But after months of testing, I gave up. And because I only want
to use a VDR box and not a dual boot linux/windows machine with
WinDVD/PowerDVD (especially as they don´t give such a great image quality like the tv
output of the DVBs on linux), I finally decided to buy a Cyberhome as they are
told to play any format...
I don´t have too many DVDs so I just collect some of my favourite movies,
but a lot of them showed problems that finally were not acceptable to me (and
to my wife - how will you tell her that VDR is the best multimedia solution
when her favourite DVD does not work... - I know that this has nothing to do
with VDR itself but you get the impression that this has to do with VDR).

Some points:
- Heavy problems when installing the AC3overDVB patch: I think that around
30% of the DVDs don´t work anymore as expected. Often, you have to press the
yellow key as the DVD plugins seems to hang
- On one or two DVDs, pressing the yellow key for reaching the next chapter
caused hang-ups
- The aspect ratio of submenus is ignored - 16:9 menus are displayed 4:3 but
with subpictures scaled to 16:9
- Animated subpictures (e.g. in Back to the future I (german)) most often
cause the plugin/VDR to crash
- 24 Bit/96 kHz PCM is not being played (e.g. Queen - Greatest video hits)

Additionally, the FFW/REW problems with libdvdnav-0.1.9 caused me to finally
decide to buy a stand alone player. Nevertheless, I would be happy if DVD
playback on VDR would finally work to get a real All-in-one multimedia station.
Unfortunately, I am not (more) a programmer - has been a long time ago when
I wrote C++ programs...

Jörg