[vdr] Re: Playing DVD ?

On Tue, Aug 26, 2003 at 05:34:20PM +0200, Jörg Knitter wrote:
> > Dr. Werner Fink wrote:
> >
> > Hmmm ... is SBAudigy really switchable into slave mode, that means that
> > the card does _not_ use the onboard PLL/quart but the clock given at its
> > _internal_ S/P-DIF connector?
>
> Yes, this could be the point. But an Terratec DMX6fire or 24/96 also is not
> too expensive if I remember right - but on the other side: Who is able to
> hear the difference?

;^)  you may not hear the difference between 96.0001kHz and 95.9999kHz
but you'll see at a long run that audio and video arn't in sync anymore.

> The reason why I mention this problem is that the 'Queen - Greatest Video
> Hits I' DVD only (!!!) has PCM 24/96 and DTS, no AC3 and no PCM 16/48, but this
> is indeed an extreme example...

Cool, would be a nice DVD for my collection.

> Fully agree to you and understand you (I am also married and have children -
> and even too less time for testing, configuring and installing), but I think
> it would be great if VDR could lead to a commercial product where the
> revenues are given back to the community. This would IMHO also ensure the
> continuity of the DVB and VDR project and make it available to a bigger market -
> especially bugs could be found faster and Klaus would not have to sort out false
> alarms against real bugs.

Hmmm ... one main problem is: more developers are needed.  A few
people do very good in giving required feedback other do not.
That's OK but the main work depends only on a few developers
and they solve their own problems for their own hardware
and requirements.

> Maybe you have read about the Windows Media Center Edition, what it
> deliveres and especially, how expensive it is. IMHO, a VDR terminal would be the much
> better alternative - if there weren´t those little ugly bugs :-)... (I know,
> Windows itself is a bug :-))

Sorry, I've never used Windows.

      Werner