[vdr] Re: Playing DVD ?

On Wed, Aug 27, 2003 at 08:35:34AM +0200, Thomas Koch wrote:

> Am Dienstag, 26.08.03 um 15:10 Uhr schrieb Klaus Schmidinger:
>
> >Well, what _are_ the _basic_ functions?
>
> Play, Fast Forward, ....
>
> >I was able to play the movie and all the additional features
> >of my DVDs, so I'd say the _basic_ functions do work.
>
> On average 40% of my DVDs don't work with the DVD Plugin. I don't speak
> of don't working Menus, no they simply don't play smoothly. Every
> second the Movie stopps for a second. I tested this on three VDR
> systems with various Plugin and Library versions. All systems where
> fast enough to play this with xine or mplayer.

IMHO this could be a design problem of the player routine within
the DVD plugin.  It seems to me that it do not use a bigger
ringbuffer with a seperate thread for filling it in background
if the video device is busy.

> And even with the working DVDs i have often crashes.

Is there any taker out there for this plugin which seems
currently not maintained.

> >Sure, I had to sometimes "blindly" navigate through the menus,
> >because the still images didn't display correctly, but apart
> >from that and the fact that FF/FR doesn't work, I _was_ able
> >to watch the movies...
>
> Comparing to VDR the DVD Plugin is in a "very early" state.
>
> This may sound hard, but i'm a little bit frustrated about this. In the
> meantime i watch DVDs with a (very loud) seperate DVD Player...

Hmmm ... are you able to modify/write C++ and the needed specs
of multiplexed MPEG2 from DVD?  Don't escape by buying a cheap
DVD multiplayer but transform your frustration into well
design C++ code for, e.g. a well working and documented DVD
plugin for VDR ;^)

      Werner