[vdr] Re: @ Reinhard Nissl: vdr-xine supporting plugins?

Am Donnerstag, 28. August 2003 13:45 schrieb Rene Bartsch:
> Am Mit, 2003-08-27 um 23.49 schrieb Reinhard Nissl:
> > May basic idea was, to provide a plugin for VDR that uses xine-lib for
> > displaying MPEG stream and OSD. At the moment, I'm working on the part of
> > getting the MPEG stream to play. For now, I'm using a filesystem fifo to
> > pass the data to xine-lib via a slightly modified fifo input plugin,
> > which is supplied with xine-lib
>
> No good idea to make it dependant on a file system ...

I think that FIFOs are a feature of Linux/Unix and any filesystem it can run
on, so as long as it is created on e.g. /tmp and not /video (which may be
crippled, vfat ;-)  ) there is no extra dependency.

If performance is an issue, you might consider a shared memory approach.
If you want to have a remote connection, use sockets. (see below)

> > But I'm still bothered by the issue of using xine-lib or the xine
> > appliation. As I had to write a input plugin for xine, I could also add
> > the OSD stuff to it. Then, any xine-lib frontend could be used to display
> > the output of VDR (maybe you recall the discussion a few weeks ago).
>
> That would be great. For STBs oXine would be a nice solution. And we
> could use the plugins of Xine instead of building extra-plugins for VDR.

There are obviouly two groups of users with two different interests:
1) xine-plugin similar to the mplayer plugin, outputting to MPEG-1/Tv-out
(requires output plugin)
2) VDR controlled by some xine frontend, output to X, framebuffer, ...
   (Connection maybe over a network - which I would not try now since you have
   your FIFO)

You have to make the choice...