[vdr] Re: @ Reinhard Nissl: vdr-xine supporting plugins?

Am Don, 2003-08-28 um 23.11 schrieb Marcel Wiesweg:

> I think that FIFOs are a feature of Linux/Unix and any filesystem it can run
> on, so as long as it is created on e.g. /tmp and not /video (which may be
> crippled, vfat ;-)  ) there is no extra dependency.

Yes, but what if your filesystem is broken? It will cause a invalid
data-stream. And I haven't seen any linux-proggy, yet, which does really
check if the incoming data is valid. All proggies I've tested crashed
when getting invalid data ...

And keeping things simple decreases maintenance a lot ...

> There are obviouly two groups of users with two different interests:
> 1) xine-plugin similar to the mplayer plugin, outputting to MPEG-1/Tv-out
> (requires output plugin)
> 2) VDR controlled by some xine frontend, output to X, framebuffer, ...
>    (Connection maybe over a network - which I would not try now since you have
>    your FIFO)
>
> You have to make the choice...

1) No problem as it is command-line based. You just have to change
mplayer.sh and the function in mplayer-plugin which generates the
control-commands for mplayer -> modify mplayer plugin.

But we want a real A/V-backend with OSD.

2) You have to implement a client/server-concept as all X-processes are
closed when you log out. That would also stop VDR and make it useless as
VCR.

So it must be possible to disconnect the X-interface from VDR without
disturbing VDR.

--
Rene Bartsch

Facsimile/Phone: +49 7 00/72 27 87 24