[vdr] Re: @ Reinhard Nissl: vdr-xine supporting plugins?

> > I think that FIFOs are a feature of Linux/Unix and any filesystem it can
> > run on, so as long as it is created on e.g. /tmp and not /video (which
> > may be crippled, vfat ;-)  ) there is no extra dependency.
>
> Yes, but what if your filesystem is broken? It will cause a invalid
> data-stream. And I haven't seen any linux-proggy, yet, which does really
> check if the incoming data is valid. All proggies I've tested crashed
> when getting invalid data ...

If your filesystem is broken you shouldn't be able to run Linux...
On the other hand, there seems to be a misunderstanding? A FIFO is a named
pipe, data is never written on disk.
man 2 pipe
man 3 mkfifo
man 2 socket

> And keeping things simple decreases maintenance a lot ...
>
> > There are obviouly two groups of users with two different interests:
> > 1) xine-plugin similar to the mplayer plugin, outputting to MPEG-1/Tv-out
> > (requires output plugin)
> > 2) VDR controlled by some xine frontend, output to X, framebuffer, ...
> >    (Connection maybe over a network - which I would not try now since you
> > have your FIFO)
> >
> > You have to make the choice...
>
> 1) No problem as it is command-line based. You just have to change
> mplayer.sh and the function in mplayer-plugin which generates the
> control-commands for mplayer -> modify mplayer plugin.

Some people would like that for DVD replay. You're right, this is a different
project.

> But we want a real A/V-backend with OSD.

> 2) You have to implement a client/server-concept as all X-processes are
> closed when you log out. That would also stop VDR and make it useless as
> VCR.
>
> So it must be possible to disconnect the X-interface from VDR without
> disturbing VDR.

That should be possible. Communication will be done by one of the classical
means. Reinhard uses a FIFO, he could as well use a Unix socket or System V
IPC. These keep the connection local.
For a remote connection he could use a TCP or UDP socket with some higher
protocol (RTSP/RTP) - but I doubt he wants to do that.

All these solution will provide a way to detect whether the other side quit or
crashed, be it a timeout.