[vdr] Re: Exit state handling in runvdr

On Thu, 28 Aug 2003, [ISO-8859-1] Jaakko Hyvätti wrote:

>  In my opinion, the exit line in runvdr is fine for testing, maybe saves
>you from typing 'killall vdr runvdr' sometimes, but is there really any
>reason not to make the loop infinite on production?  I do this.  If you
>are away from the machine, for example 2 weeks on holiday, what else can
>be done in any error situation that retry infinitely?  Maybe reboot the
>whole machine if the loop iterates fast for say an hour?  It is a
>computer, it does not get bored of repetitive tasks..

Well, I must agree. In the past I've missed a lot of recordings just
because VDR died with buffer overflows sometimes during the day. So when
the recording was supposed to start it was dead. I used to always check
the machine before each recording to see that it was alive and well, but
that defeated the whole idea of unattended recordings. I've also never

Actually, a ring buffer overflow doesn't exit VDR here, it just sits
there. Shouldn't the watchdog restart VDR when it's died or shouldn't VDR
itself exit when it has reached a situation (buffer overflow) from which
it can't recover without a restart?

--
  And it came to pass that in time the Great God Om spake unto Brutha,
    the Chosen One: "Psst!"