[vdr] Re: mailing-list broken?

Am Sam, 2003-08-30 um 10.26 schrieb Klaus Schmidinger:

> > This isn't the first list I have such experiences with crazy filters or
> > MTAs. But the first time I've been flooded with mails!
> >
> > Having the address of the original sender is a security leak. It could
> > either be used to gather adresses by spammers or to DoS-attack users of
> > mailing-lists, which could drive off users from projects.
> >
> > So the original senders should be removed from header by mailing-list
> > server.
>
> And how do you suggest we should know then _who_ has sent a particular
> message?

What for do you need the email-address of a poster? This is only
necessary for the ML-server itself, but not for the recipients of the
list. The name should be enough to identify.

It's really annoying to delete two or three messages of such kind a day
(I'm on 11 mailing-lists). And it's a reason to quit a ML if you get 30
in 1 1/2 hours several times.

I think because of security reasons contact should only be possible by
ML and no way to automatically reply to a poster directly. If someone
wants to communicate by PM they can exchange their mail-addresses on the
ML.

But if you broadcast the addresses of the users you extradite them to
DoS-attacks (or crazy MTAs/filters).

You should keep in mind we're living in a virtual world in which you can
create 10000 DoS-mails by ease (or bug in mail-handler).

--
Rene Bartsch

Facsimile/Phone: +49 7 00/72 27 87 24
Mail:  rene@bartschnet.de