[vdr] Re: mailing-list broken?

Rene Bartsch wrote:

> Am Sam, 2003-08-30 um 10.26 schrieb Klaus Schmidinger:
>

> > > This isn't the first list I have such experiences with crazy filters or
> > > MTAs. But the first time I've been flooded with mails!
> > >
> > > Having the address of the original sender is a security leak. It could
> > > either be used to gather adresses by spammers or to DoS-attack users of
> > > mailing-lists, which could drive off users from projects.
> > >
> > > So the original senders should be removed from header by mailing-list
> > > server.
> >
> > And how do you suggest we should know then _who_ has sent a particular
> > message?
> >

> What for do you need the email-address of a poster? This is only
> necessary for the ML-server itself, but not for the recipients of the
> list. The name should be enough to identify.

Well, sometimes I do contact people who have posted on the ML by private
email, just to do some tests with things that are not worth clogging the
ML. In such cases it's easier to just use the supplied email contact than
to first ask over the list to contact me in PM.

> It's really annoying to delete two or three messages of such kind a day
> (I'm on 11 mailing-lists). And it's a reason to quit a ML if you get 30
> in 1 1/2 hours several times.

Don't you have an email filter that can handle this?
After having received like 5 of these stray email, I configured our
filter to just drop these and didn't get them any more since then.

> I think because of security reasons contact should only be possible by
> ML and no way to automatically reply to a poster directly. If someone
> wants to communicate by PM they can exchange their mail-addresses on the
> ML.
>
> But if you broadcast the addresses of the users you extradite them to
> DoS-attacks (or crazy MTAs/filters).
>
> You should keep in mind we're living in a virtual world in which you can
> create 10000 DoS-mails by ease (or bug in mail-handler).

Still I find it useful to have the actual name of the sender in the mail,
since I often look up older postings in my VDR-ML folder to check with
problems that were posted earlier (as I did just moments ago with a posting
by Gerhard Steiner). If the From: field would have contained only the
list server, this would have been next to impossible.

Just my 2ct...

Klaus