[vdr] Re: Minor problems in editing

Malcolm Caldwell wrote:

> On Mon, 2003-08-18 at 03:59, Kimmo Vuorinen wrote:
> > Seppo Ingalsuo wrote:
> > > In editing when pressing keys 4 and 6 the picture doesn't change too
> > > often so I have tried to tune the markers with help of the flashing red
> > > triangle in the cutting bar. Unfortunately the red triangle doesn't
> > > always flash when playback hits a marker (started from last cutting mark
> > > with e.g. key 8). Moving the marker a couple of positions back or
> > > forward makes this triangle flash again.
> >
> > Have you applied vdr_iframe_patch from dxr3 plugin directory to your
> > vdr? I don't have any problems editing with dxr3 and fast forward /
> > reverse is also greatly improved by the patch.
>
> I had totally forgotten about this patch - no wonder 'fast forward used
> to work but now does not'!
>
> Does this patch cause problems for systems that do have full cards?
>
> Klaus: any chance of this patch going into vdr?

I'm not so sure whether this is generally a good idea.
IIRC the problem was that sometimes the tail of an I-frame
is in the same packet as the following P- or B-frame.
So when an I-frame is sent to the player device, there might
be some bytes missing at the end. Apparently the DVB cards
can handle this and play the I-frame just as well (maybe with
some artefacts), but the DXR3 seems to choke on this (please
somebody correct me if I'm wrong).

With the mentioned patch, however, the data comprising a "still
picture" will in fact consist of a complete I-frame and some
P- or B-frame. I'm not sure what a player might make of that...

Klaus