[vdr] Re: Possible enhancements to vdr

Frank.Scherthan@t-online.de (Frank Scherthan) wrote:

> Implementing the known facts about Showview
> would make VDR illigal, so it will get implemented - I bet.
> Maybe, if you are willing to pay the patent-fee for Klaus to get the
> algo known, he might implement it :) - but that would make this part
> of VDR no more GPL!

hmpf, sorry, but IMHO this is bullshit. there is no such thing as a
patented algorithm in europe, yet. you may have missed the ongoing
protests to prevent introduction of logic patents into european laws, in
the last couple of months. anyway, nothing can stop us from reverse
engineering the showview algo and implement it into vdr and this has
exactly nothing to do with the GPL.

notice, this does not mean, that this is a simple task or even worth the
pain. and of course IANAL!

best regards ...
clemens