[vdr] Re: Stop writing video 2MB before disk full [was Drop supportfor multiplevideo dirs?]

Klaus Schmidinger schrieb:

"M. Fiegert" wrote:

Yes, thats exactly the point.
If a video has to stop 2MB earlier that is almost unnoticable.
But if the disk is completley full, vdr gets real problems and behaves
quite strange because of the administrative files like
resume, marks, links,....

Sure, 2MB might be enough for such stuff, but 2MB in video data
is about 4 seconds, which means that VDR would have to check
the free disk space at a rather high rate. Besides, I'd really
suggest to leave at least a few hundred MB free. After all, this is
a disk that has a capacity of several GB - or else it wouldn't be used
for recording video ;-)

Ok, this is a problem.
But a few hunded MB is still much better than 0 MB, even if 2-3min video are lost.
This thread was meant as a warning, that vdr behaves very strange in such situations, and a simple solution that cures that.
I never expected that much messages out of this.
Some comments:

> Andreas Kool schrieb:
> Oh no, please _dont_ do the frequently "df" stuff here :-(

A possiblility to change nothing for all with enough space on disk would be to have the normal check frequency (that currently brings up the "disk low" message") and only start more frequent checks if necessary, depending on space left and the number of ongoing recordings.

Hermann Gausterer schrieb:

And why should there be a exit of vdr, if there is not enough space? Isn't
it possible to watch tv even without free space? ;-)

agreed .. vdr should simple disable all timers (without touching the timer entries of course)
and as "fleißaufgabe" start an definable script in that case (email ..

I see that a starting timer also needs to check the disk space.
I don`t see the need to disable the timers (space might be available again before the timer starts).

I think all other suggestions might be useful (eg. sending mail, I like this idea), but have to be prioritized against all the other possible nice little features on Klaus list.

Michael