[vdr] Re: Drop support for multiple video dirs? [was: Feature Request]

Manuel Hartl wrote:

> hi klaus,
>
> FEATURE REQUEST:
>
> it would be very nice, if vdr stores recording parts from a movie on the
> same drive.
> (including *.vdr files like index.vdr..)
>
> -> if a drive crashes (and it happend to me some months ago...)  you can tin
> ALL your recordings because they are distributed on the drives...

What I would really like to do is to get rid of this
altogether! I shouldn't have implemented this "spreading
recordings over drives and linking them together" in the
first place, but at the time it seemed like a useful idea.

Meanwhile disks are available in very large sizes, and if
someone really needs enormous amounts of disk capacity,
its probably a better idea to use a RAID approach.

And even without support for several /video directories
you could still have several disks mounted under the top
level /video directory and store your recordings on the
various disks.

So here's my proposal: if nobody objects I'd like to
drop the support for multiple /video directories in
version 1.3. If necessary I can provide a script that
converts an existing linked /video0, /video1,... structure
into a plain directory structure.

Any comments?

Klaus