[vdr] Re: Sigmadesign chips with VDR

Rene Bartsch schrieb:
Forget SigmaDesigns. No cooperation in any way. I've dropped using hw-decoders as their life-time-circle is too short (a new codec and you can put it into a trash-can) and there are always problems with HW-support.
Hello,

I think we never should drop our hope. I think in general hw decoders are a great thing. For now we use MPEG2 decoders and these really work great, because there are not various MPEG2 variations.

But projects like ffmpegs libavcodec prove that MPEG4 is a standard, too. There's a decoder called ffdshow for Windows that decodes every MPEG4 stream it's fed.

Maybe some day soon there'll be a add-on board for decoding MPEG4...

cu

S.