[vdr] Re: Unkown Picture Type 6

Hi together,

now that I have got some time and (which counts more) my wife lost two
recordings of their favorite soap, I again did some investigation.

I did some grepping on old logfiles. The messages occured, but very
seldom, already with version 1.0.3, there always connected with a 'can't
record MPEG1' or 'frame too large'. It started using the modular version
with 1.1.28 without having more UPT than before. With version 1.1.29
there were some more UPT, but not more than there were with 1.0.3. Also
1.1.30, 1.1.31, 1.1.31 and 1.2.0 didn't produce more than a few UPT.
Starting with 1.2.1 it got really annoying.

With 1.2.1 one out of ten recordings, which used card 1 got right. About
five times, vdr restarted because of 'video data stream broken' and
about four were destroyed because of UPT. After installing 1.2.5 (I
skipped the others, due to a lack of time) about five of ten got right
immediately.

I have three cards, card 1 is a hauppauge 2.1 or 2.2, card 2 is a
siemens 1.3 and card 3 is a hauppauge budget card. Card 2 is used as
primary interface.  For the first recording card 3 is used, so the
problem only arises, if two recordings have to be done. I never had the
problem on card 2, but it was used to record very seldom, so it is not
really significant.

I could not see a connection of having the same channel on card 2 while
the recording is started.

I never had a single UPT since 1.2.1, anytime it occured, it remained
until the recording stopped. So I inserted the emergency stop as soon as
I saw this suggestion. Of course, this will disturb the first recording,
but I think, it's better to lose some seconds on one recording, than to
loose one recording completely. And as I told, at fifty percent the
restart is done anyway.

I assume, the problem only arises, if the card is running some time
before. I never had it after restarting vdr and I never could reproduce
it, when I tried to. So if should be connected with a hardware problem,
there should be some problems, which arise after _time_, not heat.
Perhaps (just an idea) memory, which switches some bits.

Martin