[vdr] Re: Possible VDR Client? -> Pinnacle ShowCenter

Hey,

> Pinnacle has a new product called ShowCenter. It's a standalone box which
> connects to an Windows PC and plays MPEG1/2, DivX, XviD, ...

[snip]

> If no one has one, I'll buy one next week and try to find out how it works.
> I've heard from a developer the he had successfully booted a linux-kernel
> during the development-process, but I don't know if this was a proof of
> concept or an official development-step...

I'd be very interested to know what it's like and more importantly whether
it's worth the extra 200 currency units over the MVP which I picked up a
couple of weeks ago which does pretty much the same apart from DivX.

I'm almost there with hacking up a linux server for the MVP, I pretty much
understand all of the messages that need to be exchanged and so I'm now
having fun with writing a UI (that looks remarkable like VDR <grin>).
Give me a week or so and I'll release a first version of it for people to
play with and break.

It should in theory be able to play divx files on the MVP as well, it just
needs a bit of magical realtime transcoding on the server side into a nice
mpeg format, but I'll save that joy for later on.

cheers,

d.