[vdr] Re: Choosing harddisk (5400 or 7200rpms?)

Hi,

> I am considering another harddisk. While having a seagate barracuda V 120gb now I think I will change from seagate to samsung (their new Spinpoint series seems very silent and cool as well as cheap, and the new seagates don't seem quiter than the samsungs anymore). So some questions arises, mainly concerning speed.

Don't worry. I have a 80GB Spinpoint with 5400rpm in my VDR and it's
fast enough for anything. The hdparm-Benchmark talks about a throughput
of 40MB/s. It's fast enough for recording 2 streams and replaying
another flawlessly.

The drive is cool (only ~5-10°C above temperature of the room) and very
silent. I mounted it in rubber-bearings to prevent the transmission of
vibrations to the case and it's absolutely inaudible from a distance
of 50cm - even with opened case and fanless power-supply.
So my VDR works absolutely noiseless. You have to touch it to feel that
it is working. ;-)

> Second theres the cache size. How much do the cache size matter when it comes to use it as video HD?
I think the size of the cache doesn't matter anyhow for VDR-purposes.

When you buy one, pay attention that you get the newer series with 80GB
per platter, not the older one with 60GB per platter. The newer ones are
named SV802N (80GB), SV1203N (120GB) and SV1604N (160GB).
Samsung got the nomenclature SV[Size in GB][number of used
platter-sides]. The older SV1204N belongs to the older series with 2
platters a 60GB.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
  Roland