[vdr] [Fwd: Re: [linux-dvb] Re: FF cards alter PTS'?]

Holger Waechtler schrieb:

Onno Kreuzinger wrote:

Urg i hate sending mail wrong, but it happened again

Holger Waechtler schrieb:

Onno Kreuzinger wrote:

I was mainly thinking of df-gp, the first VDR patch I know that worked on the frambuffer (http://df-gp.sourceforge.net/). The first NEWS entry is now about 19 months old.

df-gp suffers from exactly the problems i expected, 1st: only Matrox tv-out cards are suffcienty good ($$$),

I doubt that is true.

Well i was looking for a gfx with a tv-out suitable for a quite big 100Hz,
and atleast accordind to the c't tests, only _very_ few gfx cards are only
~5-10% off the pal standart, matrox is and was always good at tv-out, but
$$$, if you realy doubt i will scan you the article, it only a few month old.

The timings are mostly much a driver, not a hardware issue. And consumer TVs are usually pretty uncritical in this relation.
so i will scan an mail you some of the lists and tables, since at least for
nvidia cards it _is_ a hardware bug, they must decide which analog output to
prefere, VGA ot TV, and most people won't buy a cards with sucky VGA output.

The reason why many TV-outs look bad and their colors seem lifeless is that application developers don't set up the Gamma ramp correctly, but this is easy and trivial to implement, SDL, DirectFB and OpenGL provide you the API to do this easily, I suppose other graphics APIs too.

See e.g. http://www.bberger.net/rwb/gamma.html and http://graphics.stanford.edu/gamma.html for an explanation.

ffmpeg contains a deinterlacer of pretty good quality. Give it a try.

well, i doubt it can realy handle all mpeg2 wich may come from the sky,

Please try it before ranting and distributing lies and underdone ideas. End even when it has problems then they are probably easy to fix - do you remember how long it took to get our firmware and drivers in a usable state? Why have you been there so patient but are not willing to give an alternative solution the same chance?
i was paitient, because all basic's worked: tv out with no hassle

and please don't call me a liar, i don't distribute lies, i, at least,
either report my personal experience or speak out my onw opinion, which i is
clearly expressed as my personal view, so i also don't feel like ranting.
and for that interlaced problem, i will give you the links to the vdr-portal
dicussion which lead me to the statement, that current de-/en-coding
software can't be used for a generic solution adressing the various mpeg2
formats found in DVB.

you do not know, but i watch tv over the pc since 1996, and one thing has
been true for all software since, when they run ok, they get messed up,
discontinued or shareware, and de-interlacing was mostly the last finished
feature...(yes this is my view, but hey thats what ML's are about)

like mplayer managed to break up things quite often, .vdr only fully
supported with external patch (breaking other stuff), dvb autoscale worked 1
year ago, today broken with larger mpeg2 files not in 4/3 aspect, channging
deinterlacer three times, after each old was just working ok...
when tested with mplayer-cvs and codec lavc/mpeg4, i assumed i would use the
ffmpeg code, or is their de-interlacer not in the lavc part?

for linux it looks better as whinedoze (thats why i switched 2 years
ago:xawtv), _very_ few commercial software, long time support of common
stuff (i still need oss for 5.1 analog sound), and all stuff you are talking
about is not wrong, and will hopefully come true; but for now no other
project (apart the dbox2 project) has managed to acctualy provide a generic
solution, neither ffmpeg (i know they are only a lib, but..), mplayer (now
mplayer2 is beeing developed by A'rpi), nor xine (still no 1.0.0, they know
why). SDL is around longer than a stable DVB driver, as DirectFB is, a lot
of players and media-centers have started and vanished, but i cant recall
any i would now switch for my vdr. vdr is not only a reliable tv, its a DIY
hobby, and i lives from Klaus _not_ letting vdr slip into any particular
direction, apart the line he needs it for, the others have the hobby of
playing dvd, viewing images or listening to AC3, ask the xine-plugin
developer how much his work _for_ a sw based vdr (osd extensions to xine)
has benn included into xine, non AFAIK, while i allready have installed 2 sw
based vdr's for family members, i do know some alternatives, but i am not
satisfied with them.

(MythTV looks good, i will retry when they claim full dvb support)

Holger

Regards Onno

P.S.
you seem to avoid to spreak about CPU cost/needs/inconvinience, to replace
the dvb mpeg2-decoder :)