[vdr] Re: Questions about the subtitles-plugin

Ari Huttunen wrote:

Ahh, hmm, thanks. I can't say I understood you too well,
but I'll experiment when I get home. You'd improve your UI
if you 'grayed out' the delay setting when the "sync=yes".
And if the UI also said what the delay is and what '10' means,
it'd start to be understandable..
The delay's unit is seconds, but you don't need to know that since it's use is not so obvious. It's only a fine tuning parameter that is used to sync subtitles.

And you are correct about the 'grayed out' stuff. Unfortunately the VDR menu system doesn't provide that functionality (atleast I don't know how to do that)

OK, they don't get written permanently on the video stream on disk,
so I can 'undisplay' them later..

Some things that would be nice are
- Ability to position subtitles lower on the screen
- An anti-aliased font, the current one looks annoyingly sharp-edged
Offset (Tasaus in finnish) can be used to position the subtitles vertically. 35 puts the subtitles at the bottom in my setup (Depends on how much overscan your TV has).

The dvb subtitles are graphics, so there is no font. Currently only 4 colors are used for subtitles because of the limited OSD on DXR3 cards. FF DVB cards can do 16 color (which is used in Finland) OSD, as long as the subtitles aren't to large.

I haven't seen subtitles on a "real" digi-box so I don't know if they look better.

-- pekka