[vdr] problems compiling/installing mplayer plugin WAS: Re: Mplayer-pluginoutput blocky..

Also sprach Ari Huttunen zu "01.12.2003 22:55" Anno Domini:
>> Maybe you could describe your problems and how you fixed them, so
>> that others can benifit of. I did not have much problems installing
>> it, as fas as I remember, but I use mplayer (selfcompiled) for a
>> long time know.
>>
>> Ok, I know, this will not help you to much, but maybe this will
>> help you to explain the problem in more detail to us.
>>

> Well, I
> - put sources first in wrong directory (not VDR/PLUGINS/src) having
> no clue how plugins in VDR work

that is is a common mistake. Plugin programers should give it more regard.

> - messed up mplayer ./configure phase and *thought* I'd enabled
> DVB-output by enable-dvb, but it wasn't enabled because I'd not put
> in the include dir for DVB HEAD (there's also another DVB include
> there confusing innocent users that I ignored)

This problem will be solved finally with kernel-2.6 which brings up the
headers for dvb. mplayer will then find them autoatically. For now, you
should install the headers into /usr/include as the debian dvb-modules
pakckage does.

> - used a lot of effort in vain to try to figure out why I got no
> video, and later noticed the grab.mpg

This resulted in the problem above. Solution: Read the summary of
mplayer's comfigure! (Yes, I know; I also does not read such output
alsways)
(I hope, you didn't noticed the file by a "disk full" error  ).

> - had no idea for a long time what exactly is slave mode and how I
> enable it (OSD)

Slave-Mode has the advantage, that vdr resp. the mplayer plugin
"controls" mplayer continuesly in contrast to firing up a mplayer and
leave the user with controling it by setting up mplayer's lirc control
mechanism. As I use the IR receiver from my Hauppauge Nexus card, I do
not have the possibilty to do that as it is not readable by lirc. I
think slave mode is the cleaner way as you get the standard vdr UI and
vdr/mplayer-plugin is in control!

> - didn't originally know I was supposed to get mplayer.sh written by
> somebody else

Yes, there should be a hint in the manual, that there are other (and
better) mplayer.sh implementations around. I now have a page on my
website, summerizing about that fact.

> The problems in installation that still persist are - still have no
> idea why the mplayer-plugin works if I start runvdr from a console,
> but doesn't work if runvdr is run from /etc/inittab (it runs as root,
> secure, no, works, yes) (it's set to slave mode)

Strange. That's also anoying. I start vdr by a selfmade init-script
which runs runvdr in a screen (see its man-page). This way, I maybe do
not have the problem, you have with vdr starting from inittab and I also
have the advantage to be able to connect to the screen session and
control vdr by keyboard (even remotely from my notebook via ssh) and
reading the standard output (mostly of plugins). Maybe I will publish my
init-mechanism on my website.

> - I have fair chance of having VDR messed up when returning from
> playing an AVI. There's television picture but VDR doesn't respond to
> LIRC, so I have to kill VDR manually; that's easy as by now it's
> running on a console

I cannot reconstruct the problem here easyly as I have to use the
mplayercluster plugin instead of the mplayer plugin as my vdr machine
has a bit to less computation power (433MHz Celeron SMP, currently only
one processor) for transcoding AVIs.
--
Patrick Cernko | mailto:errror@errror.de | http://www.errror.de
Quote of the Week: "/vmlinuz does not exist.