[vdr] Re: ANNOUNCE: mailbox plugin 0.1.0 for IMAP/POP3 accounts

Hi Lars

I tried the plugin today and it works close to perfect out of the box!
Great.

- 'mail list view' to display a list of all mails in a mailbox with
 subject, sender and state/flags of every mail.
Is it possible to list them in the reverse order, i.e. latest mails at the
top? With > 100 mails in my INBOX it is quite cumbersome to scroll to the
bottom before viewing a new mail...
<g> As there are several users who want the mails to be displayed in reverse order I've put this on my todo list.

- Mails encoded in 'quoted-printable' are displayed correctly (tested
  at least with german umlauts).
This is not the case for me. Any ideas?
Are you sure that the mail is in 'quoted-printable'? Is this a multi-part mail?

Do you see the quoted-printable characters in the mail-text or do you observe 'strange' encodings in the subject or sender line? (The later look like '=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Gru=DF?=' and are called 'quoted-words' - the plugin isn't able to decode them right now).

Please look at the source of the mail with your normal mail reader.

If this is a single-part mail, you should see a line like 'Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable' in the header of the mail. If this is a multipart mail, you should see such a line at the beginning of the relevant part.

If a mail(part) uses transfer encoding 'quoted-printable', the plugin calls a function 'rfc822_qprint' from c-client to decode the text. But I observed cases where a mail is in quoted printable and this method fails (by returning 0). In this case the plugin displays the orginal encoded text and send a message to the syslog (if you have warning level >=2).

The message sent to syslog looks like: "MailPart::getBodyText() unable to convert quoted-printable in MailNum: %ld PartName: %s!"

Do you get this message line in the syslog when you try to display this mail?

For example the faulty mail I received had a html-text appended and the header of this part claimed it to be quoted-printable. In this case the function 'rfc822_qprint' fails and the html-source will be displayed - but in this case the behaviour is at least consistent with the behaviour of Mozilla 1.5 which doesn't display this part either :-)

- IMAP: when a mail is displayed in the 'mail view', the \Seen flag
  for this mail is set automatically (configurable).
This may be the case, but the display of the mail list view is not updated
properly.
Just for clarification: When you return from mail-view to mail-list-view the mail has still an 'N' in front of the subject?

Is this 'N' still displayed when you scoll in the list with cursor left / cursor right so that the display of the mail-list will be refreshed? Background of the question: The string that is displayed in the mail-list-view is constructed every time the Display()-method of the OsdItem is called (and not only once when the OsdItem is constructed). So I would expect the one character flag indicator to definitely reflect the current state.

Please open the mail in the mail-view afterwards again and look in the title bar. After the name of the mail-account, the current mail number and the total number of mails in the account you see the states of all flags in a character sequence like this '[RNFDA]'.

Each of the characters represents one flag of a mail:
R - \Recent
N - not \Seen (I chose this inversion as it's easier to talk
about new mails than of 'not seen' mails ;)
F - \Flagged
D - \Deleted
A - \Answered

If one of these flags is not set a '_' is displayed instead.

The one character flag indicator in the mail-list is created by evaluating the flags in the order from top to down in the list above and the first flag that leads to a character is displayed.

>>- IMAP/POP3: set \Deleted flag for mails in the "mail list view" and
>> the "mail view".
>
> Similar to the New indicator, I would have expected a "D" to mark
> deleted mails, but still an "N" or no symbol is shown after deleting
> a mail.

please do the same checks like described above.

- Jump to next/previous new (not \Seen) mail in the 'mail list view'
  and in the 'mail view'.
Works, but if the next unseen mail is beyond the currently displayed set of
mails, the cursor jumps somewhere but the list view seems not to be
updated!?
Hmm, I have tested all the issues you described just while typing this mail. Could it be the case that you have a general refreshing problem in mail-list-view? How many mails to you have in this mailbox - I tested with a folder of 20 and 1500 mails.

I am running vdr-1.2.6 on Debian 3.0 [...]
Thanks for the information and for the detailed report.

bye, Alex