[vdr] Getting mplayer to work with vdr

After a three hour bzttle getting ffmpeg & mplayer to compile - and look at the time - I now have the problem of making it work.

I'm using the dual purpose mp3/mplayer plugin and the mp3 part is fine, but when I select mplayer I get a fairly empty screen, if I select source I can see my two defined sources; a file server with mpegs and the dvd/vdrom drive. If I select the drive then there doesn't seem to be anything I can do, the screen is mostly blank (pressing mount or play does nothing). If I select the fileserver, then when I select an mpeg nothing seems to happen. If I look at the console I can see s chsnging display with timer like information scrolling slong until it suddenly stops with some form of data error. Meanwhile the vdr screen has continued showing live tv - except when mplayer stops and there is a short period of black screen. All in all, pretty useless so far.

VDR 1.3.17

PS If I kill vdr (leaving the live tv picture running) player still does not output anything to the FF card.
The information in this message is confidential and is intended solely for
the addressee. Access to this message by any other person is not permitted.
or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it, is prohibited and
may be unlawful.