[vdr] Re: How to play HDTV files ?

On Tue, Dec 07, 2004 at 02:33:40PM +0100, Joerg Riechardt wrote:

> I am interested in good quality too, and so I tried xawtv and compared
> it to xine. But I see no difference.  What is the improvement in picture
> quality, that you see? On that PC I use a FF card Rev.1.3, Suse 9.2 with
> standard kernel, and the Suse xine and xawtv4 (as xawtv 3.94 didn't work
> with the FF card).

I am using xawtv 3.94 with my FF, just launched as follow :
xawtv -geometry 770x580-0-0 &

BUT THE QUALITY with my new Nvidia card is below the one of xine...
I have also tried ATI based cards: there XV output is of same quality as
the one from Nvidia. To have a really good quality, the only cards I
know about are the Matrox ones ;-)

> What version are you using, and would you be so kind and give me a short
> instruction how to set it up (with 3.94, if you use that)? I read
> through bytesex.org, but got more and more confused: do I have to patch
> the kernel? With what for FF card?

We agree that FF stands for Full Featured cards, which mean with onboard
mpeg2 decoder, yes ?
Why on earth would you like to patch your kernel, if you want to patch,
just use dvb-kernel CVS against a 2.6.10-rc3.
Then don't forget to have the v4l loaded in your xorg.conf (or XFree
equivalent) (with an Load "v4l" at the good place), otherwise you won't
have xv extension...

Good luck,
--
	Grégoire Favre