[vdr] Re: vdr-1.3.x & NPTL

vdr@zastrow4u.de(Alfred Zastrow)  10.12.04 22:42

>Rainer Zocholl schrieb:

>> I read that after applying the "few" thread safe patches and
>> (mainly)? the last thread.c by Rolf Nissl NPTL seesm to work.

>NTPL is working without any problems here

In what configuration and what CPU?
which vdr? which plugins?

>- without any of these, so called, thread safe patches.

As i wrote:
In a multithreading enviroment a "works here" does absolutely not
mean "the software is ok, it's your crap hardware/plugin/patch"

The timings windows to fail are very small, and you might never have
the problems. Too they are not reproducible.

Too you will get problems when you use several plugins.

For example VDR 1.3.7 was her complete unusable when i insert the
osdteletext plugin.
Without the pluging vdr dies sometimes with segment faults.
After removing all reentrance violations (i found(*)) osdteletext
works here and vdr is not dying (so often) anymore.

3*FF DVB-S (2.1,2.1,1.5) 1* DVB-T 771. duron 1,3MHhz 100MHz FSB,

Rainer

(*) there are several more, but those delivers only funny
    displays and logfile entries.
    Simply scan for "static". Everywhere you found it near a variable
    you found most likely a reentrance violation.
    I assume that those code fragments where implemented when VDR
    was not threaded.

Home | Main Index | Thread Index