[vdr] Re: WinTV-PVR 150 questions

Hi,

On Monday 27 December 2004 12:05, Rene Bredlau wrote:
> Hi Klaus,
>
> Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
> > Since the 'kfir' driver I'm using will apparently not be ported
> > to kernel 2.6, I'm looking for an alternative that allows me to
> > convert an analog a/v signal into an MPEG2 transport stream.
> >
> > The new Hauppauge WinTV-PVR 150 appears to be a cost efficient
> > way to achieve this. Therefore I'd like to ask if anybody here
> > already has experiences with such a card.
> >
> > Especially I'd like to know:
> >
> > - is there a Linux driver for this card?
>
> The people from the ivtv driver are working on this card, too. But i do
> not know the state of the development for this card at the moment. If
> there is something working allready you should check the current
> development branch 0.3 on it.
>
> > - can it deliver a transport stream?
>
> To use the driver together with vdr you can take the analogtv plugin or
> extend vdr itself ;-)
>
> If you pick a PVR-250 it is allready working. PVR-150 is quite new and
> somehow different to the other PVR-??? modules.

The problem with the PVR-250 is, that it doesn't deliver a working transport
stream. That's the reason why the analogtv plugin uses the PES stream type
and converts the data stream into a transport stream internally. For
recording this works quite well. But for live viewing there a picture
distortions for about 30 seconds after switching to a channel provided by the
analogtv plugin.
I have done some experiments using the sky plugin and the pes2ts tool from
libdvb. I changed the /dev/video2 to /tmp/FIFO in the sky plugin and used
"pes2ts /dev/video0 > /tmp/FIFO" to convert the pes stream to a transport
stream. With this configuration I get a stable picture directly after
switching to the channel provided by the sky plugin.

Lars

Home | Main Index | Thread Index