[vdr] Re: WinTV-PVR 150 questions

Lars Altenhain wrote:
Hi,

On Monday 27 December 2004 12:05, Rene Bredlau wrote:

Hi Klaus,

Klaus Schmidinger wrote:

Since the 'kfir' driver I'm using will apparently not be ported
to kernel 2.6, I'm looking for an alternative that allows me to
convert an analog a/v signal into an MPEG2 transport stream.

The new Hauppauge WinTV-PVR 150 appears to be a cost efficient
way to achieve this. Therefore I'd like to ask if anybody here
already has experiences with such a card.

Especially I'd like to know:

- is there a Linux driver for this card?
The people from the ivtv driver are working on this card, too. But i do
not know the state of the development for this card at the moment. If
there is something working allready you should check the current
development branch 0.3 on it.

- can it deliver a transport stream?
To use the driver together with vdr you can take the analogtv plugin or
extend vdr itself ;-)

If you pick a PVR-250 it is allready working. PVR-150 is quite new and
somehow different to the other PVR-??? modules.

The problem with the PVR-250 is, that it doesn't deliver a working transport stream.
Does this mean that it basically _does_ deliver a TS, but just a broken
one - or doesn't it deliver a TS at all? In the first case: is that the
driver's fault or a hardware limitation?

That's the reason why the analogtv plugin uses the PES stream type
and converts the data stream into a transport stream internally. For recording this works quite well. But for live viewing there a picture distortions for about 30 seconds after switching to a channel provided by the analogtv plugin. I have done some experiments using the sky plugin and the pes2ts tool from libdvb. I changed the /dev/video2 to /tmp/FIFO in the sky plugin and used "pes2ts /dev/video0 > /tmp/FIFO" to convert the pes stream to a transport stream. With this configuration I get a stable picture directly after switching to the channel provided by the sky plugin.
Lars
As long as the card/driver isn't able to deliver a working TS directly I guess
it doesn't qualify as a replacement for the kfir card :-(

Klaus

Home | Main Index | Thread Index