[vdr] How to name the audio tracks?

> The upcoming version 1.3.18 of VDR will have a new remote control
> button named "Audio", which brings up a menu that lists all
> the available
> audio tracks, like
>
>    Audio
>
>    Analog (deu)
>    Analog (eng)
>    Dolby (deu)
>
> which would be what a channel with two "normal" audio tracks (German
> and English) and one Dolby Digital track might show.
>
> The question I'm thinking about is how to name the first two tracks?
> They're what is received under the "normal" audio PIDs, and which is
> output through that analog audio connector of the full featured DVB
> cards (hence "Analog"). However, some may argue that even these tracks
> are broadcast in a digital way and might want them to be
> named differently.
> In that case, a good suggestion would be appreciated...
>
> Klaus

Hi Klaus,

Since vdr basically receives a fully digital signal, I prefer "pcm" instead
of "analog"
... according to my home cinema amplifier which is displaying :
PCM 48 KHz     or    Dolby D  x/y

But another way coud be adding a new setup parameter, like "setup sound",
with 3 choices :

1/ ANALOG
=> audio tracks could be named "analog"
=> dolby tracks should be hidden

2/  DIGITAL (w/o DD amplifier)
=> audio tracks could be named "Pcm" or "Digital"
=> dolby tracks should be hidden

3/ DOLBY DIGITAL (request DD amplifier)
=> audio tracks could be named "Pcm" or "Digital"
=> dolby tracks could be named "Dolby"

If adding this coud be done without much trouble, I thing it could be
a nice feature.

My two cents.
Karim.

Home | Main Index | Thread Index