[vdr] Re: How to name the audio tracks?

Lauri Tischler <lwgt@iki.fi> uttered the following thing:
> >Maybe the word "Stereo" is suitable ?
>
> It's not allways 'stereo', can also be two-channel mono with
> different language on right and left.
>
> Maybe 'Sound'

Indeed this presents a further problem. I think we should also take in
to account the WAF (wife acceptance factor) and make it clear, but also
flexible. I'd be happy to see the following options in the menu, given a
bilingual broadcast with surround and stereo streams:

- English (Stereo)
- English (Surround)
- Deutsch (Stereo)
- Deutsch (Surround)
- English (Left)
- English (Right)
- Deutsch (Left)
- Deutsch (Right)

There are a lot of options, but unfortunately this is the only way to
cover all options. These won't all be shown at once anyway.

There are plenty of broadcasters using left/right for different languages,
and there does have to be a way to select this thats better than what
I use now of muting one channel of my amp. Perhaps a widget where
pressing left/right will select between left/stereo/right...

And above all, please avoid using terms that a non-techie will find
confusing - "AC3" and "DD5.1" are confusing, "Surround" is easy. Also,
"PCM" and "MP2" are confusing, "Stereo" is easy.

BB

Home | Main Index | Thread Index