[vdr] Re: EPG extention - what's on 20:15

----- Original Message -----
From: "Guido Fiala" <
gfiala@s.netic.de>
To: <
vdr@linuxtv.org>
Sent: Wednesday, December 29, 2004 11:43 AM
Subject: [vdr] Re: EPG extention - what's on 20:15

> On Wednesday 29 December 2004 11:31, Peter Juszack wrote:
> > Of course a PictureInPicture would be nice but that is not possible with
> > full featured cards.
> > There is a plugin which gives pip over OSD but it's only a workaround.
> > pip must be hardware supported by the FF cards otherwise it makes no
sense
> > to intergrate pip
> > into VDR.
> > I have just seen Back To The future Part II and there was a TV screen
like
> > you mentioned in the
> > year 2015. I think we can have that earlier
>
> I wonder if its possible to manipulate the mpeg-stream in DCT-space in
real
> time to get that effect rather than uncompress each mpeg-frame, generate
an
> image and recompress it later to produce a new frame with the 9 images or
the
> same for PiP. This would reduce calculation time to very little...
> Some mathematician here? (Basically it should be shifting the
DCT-coefficients
> in the matrix to reduce the resolution and reorder the DCT-blocks with the
> additional information)
>
> Guido

This could be a way to implement it but I think we will have to wait for a
linuxTV solution
until pip or a 3x3 screen will be integrated into VDR.
The linuxTV API then allows to divide the screen into 3x3 or has a pip
function.
VDR then starts a new receiver thread and gives the ouput to linuxTV and
says: Bring output
to screen 2,2 (middle screen of a 3x3) or bring output as pip. That's my
vision.

Anything else is a nice experiment but will likly be unstable and sooner or
later replaced by
another solution.

Unfortunately the linuxTV API is designed from the full featured cards.
That's the wrong way of thinking ( but the only one which works for now ).

I think a new LinuxTV2 API shoul be designed in theory and must provide all
the features like
pip, divided screen, MHP rendering and much more what will be the future TV
tasks.

Then hardware manufactorers build cards which are LinuxTV2 combatible.

Peter

Home | Main Index | Thread Index