[vdr] Re: How to name the audio tracks?

From what I've seen so far in this discussion I guess that too many
automatisms and too much techno babble is not the way to go. The
average user will most likely understand and appreciate that he/she
can define one set of preferred languages (with decreasing priority),
but will probably wonder why the language setting would have to be
done three times... Therefore there will be _one_ preferred language
setting, and that will be used for the EPG, the audio and the subtitles.
For audio and subtitles there will be menus from which the user can
choose the actual language, in case the default isn't suitable.
Recordings will only record the languages that are part of the set
of preferred languages (or the first one, if none fits).

I've also learned that there is (at least on some channels) additional
textual information in the ComponentDescriptor (apparently not the
MultilingualComponentDescriptor) that can be used to present the
various audio channels, so I'll go for that. On some channels these
even contain things like "Dolby Digital 5.1", "Commentary" and for
the video "4:3" or "16:9" (however, the German ZDF channel apparently
has the same data for all its broadcasts, so even if a programme is
16:9 the data will say 4:3 - well, maybe this gets better once VDR
actually starts using this data and the VDR users at the broadcasting
stations begin to see what they are doing wrong ;-).

With all these modifications it will still take a while before I can
release version 1.3.18, though...

Klaus

Home | Main Index | Thread Index