[vdr] Re: Error handling vs. user friendliness.

Am Montag, 3. Januar 2005 13:38 schrieb Klaus Schmidinger:

> > - VDR does an "emergency exit" when it fails to tune to a channel.  This
> >   renders VDR to be completely unusable as long as at least one bad
> >   channel entry exists.  A bad LNB, a broken cable or a bird in front of
> >   one of the LNBs would make VDR unusable, too.  Why not just ignore (or
> >   give a warning) on bad entreis?
>
> Are you sure it does this just when you tune to such a channel?
> Normally it should only do this when it wants to record something
> and gets no useful data. In that case it does a restart in order to
> reload the driver.
>
> > - VDR restarts continously when there is no signal in one of the
> > available frontends.  Therefore you can't put the box to a different
> > location just to watch some recordings.  You will need to take the dish
> > along, although you don't want to watch live TV.
>
> Are you sure there is no recording scheduled at such a time?

> If the driver were really rock solid stable, there probably would be
> no reason for VDR to do any restarts, because a lack of signal would
> just mean that there actually _is_ none. Unfortunately, at least in the
> past, it happened ever so often that the driver just didn't deliver any
> data any more, and only a driver reload fixed that. Ok, maybe we should
> touch some file and only do a reload if that file is older than some given
> value (yet another setup option, I'm afraid...).

Hello altogether,

I bought a Skystar2 recently as a second DVB-Card and use Kernel 2.6.9 with
it.
Everything's just fine when I use vdr, switch channels, watch TV ..
I experienced what Klaus described above, but not the other way:
vdr tunes the skystar2 to a channel, getting a lock on it, but nothing is
shown! The Card delivers no data - only a driver reload fixes this.
But vdr stays running, except when a timer is set.
In that case it does an emergency exit - as Klaus explained.

As a workaround I changed the order of my cards - now I would get a driver
reload only when two recordings on different transponders are to be done.

(my system:
AMD Duron 700, KNC1 DVB-Station, Skystar2, vdr 1.3.16, vdr-xine 0.6.3)

Cheers,

Ulf

PS: To Klaus - thanks a very lot for this great software!!