[vdr] Re: Error handling vs. user friendliness.

>  From 'man vdr':
>
> EXIT STATUS
>         0      Successful program execution.
>
>         1      An error has been detected which requires the
> DVB driver and vdr
>                to be reloaded.
>
>         2      An non-recoverable error has been detected,
> vdr has given up.

Great, so this is already in place. Then only the occurences of
fatal exits need to be checked and evaluated if they should be
really fatal or if vdr could still run.

> Ok, so in case of an error at startup we could turn off the automatic
> saving of channels.conf and only save it when the user explicitly
> makes a change.

Yes, and just log the offending line(s).

> However, what if the channels.conf file is so broken that no channels
> can be read at all? Should VDR still start? What if only one or two
channels
> are ok? Where's the limit?

If no channels can be read I would consider it fatal. If at least one
good entry is there, it is not fatal, so VDR should start.

Best regards,
Reiner.

Home | Main Index | Thread Index