[vdr] Re: Error handling vs. user friendliness.

Reiner Buehl wrote:
Oh, you misunderstood me. I _want_ emergency exits for
_fatal_ errors

like not finding a channels.conf or or not finding any
input devices or

some such.  But a bad timers entry is not a fatal error.
Well, then what about just dropping offending lines in channels.conf
and timers.conf? With log messages, of course...

I would definitly prefere it if VDR would behave like you suggest here. I do agree with most people here that suggested
to be more cautious with fatal exits. In case of offending
channels.conf and timer.conf lines a log message and ignoring
or commenting of the line is sufficient. In terms of no signal
conditions I would also prefere a more to the point log message
and not a endless restart circle. Maybe a differentiation
between fatal and restart required exits would make sense.
If these two would have different exit codes, runvdr could stop in case of a fatal error and log files would not fill up with
endless restarts and in case of a restart required exit runvdr
could reload the drivers or whatever and do the restart.

Best regards,
Reiner.
From 'man vdr':

EXIT STATUS
       0      Successful program execution.

       1      An error has been detected which requires the DVB driver and vdr
              to be reloaded.

       2      An non-recoverable error has been detected, vdr has given up.

Klaus

Home | Main Index | Thread Index