[vdr] Re: One wire solution

olaf@bigred.inka.de(Olaf Titz)  07.01.05 11:43

Once upon a time "Olaf Titz " shaped the electrons to say...

>> http://www.bauckhage.com/pdf/digi100.pdf

>I don't have experience with that box, but the web page says:
>Freq. range Sat1  950-1600 MHz
>Freq. range Sat2  1800-2200 MHz
>Freq. range terr. 47-862 MHz
>the Sat inputs on the box are labeled like this:

>|      Inputs      |
>|    High band     |
>V                  H

>and the antenna wall outlets are labeled "DC Blocker".

I assume that "DC Blocker" is "only"/"mainly" required to protect
the several recievers on the single wire from each other.
The receivers should not have a problem if a voltage
is applied, but....

>So most likely the box just remodulates the signals from one
>horizontal and one vertical LNB output - both on the high band - into
>two different frequency ranges, completely ignoring DC, 22 kHz and
>DISEQC;
>also completely ignoring the low band.

Ah! That's the problem^wtrick...

>Since it's perfectly possible for the low band to
>contain digital transmissions - perhaps more in the future -
>this is one obvious disadvantage (but it would
>perhaps be possible to build such a box with four inputs too).

But the bandwidth of the cable would not be sufficent to carry
all the required channels, or?

>This could work with VDR when you set a LOF which matches one of the
>frequency ranges (e.g. the "vertical" one) and manually correct all
>frequencies of "horizontal" transponders to account for the offset.

>OTOH it shouldn't be too hard to patch VDR to do this by itself;
>in some way just the meanings of the "vertical/horizontal" and
>"low/high-band" distinctions are swapped.

>Another thought: surely such a device has to be designed to work with
>commercial STBs.

Technisat offers special STBs for their box.
But that may be done only to ensure extra business...

>Do those usually get their transponder frequencies from the
>NIT like VDR 1.3
>or rely on manual configuration like VDR 1.2?
>If the former, there should be a way how this works with plain VDR too.

Rainer

Home | Main Index | Thread Index