[vdr] Re: DVB subtitles & DVD authoring, and m2vmp2cut

On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 01:17:39 +0200
Mika Lehtinen <haahuu@luukku.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to figure out ways to make DVD creation from VDR material
> with DVB subtiteles (recorded by the dvb subtitles plugin) easier. At
> the moment I'm using the following process:
>
> To my inderstanding Project X can be used as a command line app, so
> that is ok, but I have not been able to solve how to mux the .sup
> subtitles with any other tool than IfoEdit. Dvdauthor / spumux does
> not seem to support .sup subtitles.

> Is anyone aware of a cli toot that would run in linux and could handle
> the.sup muxing / authoring. An alternative solution could be to
> convert the.sup subtitles into .png files and a spumux xml
> configuration file, but at least I have not been able to find such a
> tool either. Any suggestions?

Hi,

I was going to write about this earlier, but never got around to it...
The solution is to dump the sup-format, and use son instead. I have no
idea what the format is for, but it uses a text definition file, and
dumps numbered bmp files. I wrote a small perl script to transform it to
spu-format, and the files to png (according to docs spumux takes bmp,
but at least the version I'm using doesn't).

The one problem I had, was with the colors of the texts. Each letter has
a black border, but it's too thick. Fortunately, they are of slightly
different color, so I just replace the inner one with white (and throw a
bit of antialiasing into the soup), when converting the bmp to png. This
feels like a kludge, anyone have better ideas?

Another problem will arise when the commercial channels start to use
DVB subtitles. Currently I'm using lve/m2vmp2cut to cut the commercial
breaks neatly out, but it doesn't (yet?) support subtitles, so the only
option is to use vdr, where the time resolution is not so good. Or cut
the commercials with lve/m2vmp2cut and manually/scriptwise adjust the
spu start and end times. Getting the correct cut lengths is of course a
problem...

Is the author of m2vmp2cut about? Any chance of implementing this into
your code? Or, alternatively, print out the lengths of each included and
excluded sections?

Anyway, my script is attached to this email. It needs ImageMagick for
the image conversions, but (as is evident) it's a very simpleminded
script, shorter than the license text, but hey, it's my first published
script so I just HAD to make it gpl ;-)

BTW the texts look horrible when testing the mpeg file with mplayer, but
(after fighting to change the colours for a couple of hours I noticed
that) on the dvd they are correct.

Then a question, on the same topic, to the dvd authoring gurus: how can
I "pre-select" a subtitle (but leave the possibility to remove them)? My
attempts so far have failed, and the documentation is somewhat
lacking... In fact: what is the "correct" way to include the subtitles
in dvdauthor.xml? I can make it work, but for some strange reason I get
3 subtitles to choose from...

Best Regards,

Timo

--