[vdr] Re: vdr-1.3.18: DolbyDigital "stuttering" sound

christian jacobsen wrote:

Hallo,

First I would like to say thanks to Klaus, Werner and everyone else who
have helped for this milestone for VDR :)

I have always had some trouble getting stable Live DD sound with VDR
using Transfermode.
Sometimes it works quite nice, means only "stuttering" once and a while,
but other times it "stutters" from the beginning. The "stuttering" then
happens very offen - somtimes 1-2 times a second and sometimes it works
some seconds before "stuttering" again. This is quite disturbing :(

I have this identical proble, I just assumed it was incompatibility with my Decoder. I have a Creative Labs DDTS-100. Works great for everything but have always has issues through VDR. But glad to see someone else have similar problems, because I love the decoder! :)

During the testing of the new FW I did some tests with only one card
and/or a bigger delay to fill the ringbuffer and noticed that I did
help. I also noticed that with one card it was easier to get sound
"stable". At least with two cards I think it needs some more buffering

Could someone show me what I could change that for testing or send me a
patch ?

If it works it would be nice if there was an option for setting a bigger
delay, something like "Live DolbyDigital Delay" ...

@Klaus: yes I know you "hate" unnecessary options ;) but this one would
really be nice as everyone could find the best setting for them selves.
I don't mind that it takes some time (1-X seconds) before picture comes
when I manually switch sound to DD as long as I get stable sound. If
additional the standard sound could be set to PCM and therefore
switching times were fast then it would be perfect :)

Therefore it would also be nice to have an option like "Live Audio
Default DolbyDigital : Yes/No". I know that _I_ can switch back to PCM and it then stays there, but my
Wife and surely also others will not remember that and only state that
VDR is so slow whe switching ;) This Option would in my opinion improve
the WAF :)

A bit OT : I am sure this is also true for others. My wife only uses
very little of the possiblities of VDR I think it comes down to : Read
EPG, recording, replay and LiveTV. And she hates when things change. One
reason is offcourse that she is tired in the evening (3 children can be
hard ;) ) and learning new things which I think is great is just not
appreciated ;)

Greetings
Christian Jacobsen

Any type of option to fix this if it is a delay problem would be awesome. I don't know if we are the only ones to have these issues. Surely not.

Thanks for an awesome release, this one seems very nice so far.