[vdr] Re: VDR recording problem

Hi,

On Sunday 16 January 2005 19:22, Ryan Mak wrote:
Hi.

When I try to record, picture distortion occurs in the
"live" feed which results in the same for the recorded
segment.
Sounds like you have a weak signal. You could install the
femon plugin which is able to display the signal strength.

--Stefan
The problem with femon is, being a rip out code from my
nessy patch, that as long as the DVB fw and the driver do not
supply a standard return value for each and every DVB card
type out there, the values are not always correct. I later modified
my nessy patch (actually the place where calculations are being made) to suit the DVB cards that I am using. I NEVER really
understood why the driver doesn't handle the individual DVB
cards so that they return a standarized value, no matter what the
hardware delievers in the form of numbers. If I have a SNR of
35 db, then I expect the drive to return *that* value and not some
silly number between zero and 65535 esp since not every hardware
delivers the same number for the same signal strength. It's a bummer
that this is left to the user. Esp since the hardware (fw more likely)
seems to become inaccurate at higher numbers (something above
65000 IIRC), which makes yet another seperate calculation
necessary. The driver is still in the beta phase. I mean, eventhough
the TDA8083 (popular Rev 1.6 card) can deliver all values SNR,
SS, UNC and BER, it still hasn't been implemented W/o having access to the original documents (stupid NDAs of a no longer used chipset and older ARM7 processor), we will never have a
truely cleaned up driver.
I'm not pounding on the people who are keeping the DVB drivers
alive and correcting bugs (actually I really appreciate it, since I know
what kind of work flows into projects like these), but NDA's esp on
a product which is no longer really in production, is simply very aggrevating.

Greets,
Reinhard