[vdr] Re: Default video dir

pasi.juppo@iki.fi a écrit :
On 17 Jan, Beppe wrote:

Emil Naepflein wrote:

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 13:57:05 +0100, Beppe wrote:

One broken LVM volume will kill all recordings.

Are you sure?

AFAIHR it depends on what mod you use linear/striped and filesystem.
LVM combines partitions with any kind of fault-tolarance into one big
volume. Even if you combine only RAID5 partitions it can happen that you
loose data of the whole volume. Nothing is totally failure proof.
Exactamente,

So you want Klaus keep the VDR multi-volume capability?
When there are soft/hard-ware that its very purpose is to handle multiple volumes.
I the end, no one to trust!

How about making DVDs of those important recordings that need to be
backed up? IMO, symbolic linking is sufficient for general usage.

I think I simply don't understand the need for having 1TB of online video... Whatever, there are really many possibilities in the open-source world to create ad-hoc large storage systems, that fit the need of it's creator/user, and do not involve the application in specific storage pattern.
I was recently directed to http://translucency.sourceforge.net/ for a totally different purpose, and this thing could be just another ad-hoc solution for a big VDR storage need.
KISS

--
NH