[vdr] Re: Default video dir

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 16:00:10 +0100, Reinhard Walter Buchner wrote:

> However, I, too have had a quibble with the way VDR handles the
> saving and distribution of the recordings. Esp the fact that VDR will
> place the recordings where there is the most free space.

This algorithm should be changed in a way so that always all parts of a
recording are put onto the same partition. I did quick fix by changing
the algorithm so that the video directories are filled after each other.
So the risk of a split recording exists only for the last recording on a
partition.

> However, I do NOT want VDR
> to record to this drive (esp say half a movie) or split up recordings. All
> I want is a script that checks the first HDD for finished (aka edited)
> recordings and move those to the second HDD as a background task.

You can apply the change I made to the recordings placement. It will
fill the first disk and if it is getting full there will be an overflow
to the second.

And I have a rather complex perl script to move recordings completly to
any secondary partition. Only the resume file stays on the the primary
partition. You may adapt it to your situation.

> It should also broadcast a LAN message (to both the Windows and the
> Linux PCs) if the second drive should fill to more than (e.g.) 75%.

This would be easy to achieve.

> My next problem is
> that I want to be able to access the recordings on this VDR from my
> master VDR. I also want to be able to access the recordings on my
> master VDR on the living room VDR. I, however, do NOT want
> VDR to be recording across the two different hardware setups, simply
> because there is free space available. Here, too, VDR should send a
> warning message via LAN when the 40 GB disk becomes too full
> (say 60%).

I wouldn't do such cross mounts. This may cause problems if one of the
systems fails. Why not recording directly to the master?

I like the central video server with lots of redundant disk space and
smart clients. This makes the management much easier.

Cheers,
Emil

Home | Main Index | Thread Index