The LinuxTV dvb-apps package contains some Linux DVB API applications and a set of utilities that both the developer and end user alike will find quite useful. Specifically, the utilities are geared towards the initial setup, testing, and operation of a DVB device, whether it be of the software decoding (a.k.a. 'budget') or hardware decoding (a.k.a. 'premium' or 'full-featured') class.
Obtaining the dvb-apps package
Unfortunately, in regards to the package, an element of confusion has been introduced by the fact that not all Linux distributions ('distro's') refer to it by the "dvb-apps" name. The Debian package name, for example, is "dvb-utils". Additionally, you may sometimes also see it called "dvbtools" (though dvbtools is/was itself the name of another set of utilities seperate from the LinuxTV project (see here)).
In any regard, the dvb-apps package source code is available for direct download from the LinuxTV website, in either tar.bz2 or tar.gz format. (Note: The build procedure is very simple -- uncompress the download; in a command shell, cd to the top directory level of the uncompressed sources; run 'make' and then 'sudo make install').
Alternatively, if the package is maintained in a repository available for your "distro", then you can obtain it with your package manager. For example:
- To install it on a debian system:
# apt-get install dvb-utils
- With gentoo:
# emerge linuxtv-dvb-apps
- Using Fedora, assume root privileges then install the dvb utilities with:
# yum install dvb-apps
List of utilities within 'dvb-apps'
The README file in the top level of the package gives a brief description of the package's contents, but in general, some of the items of interest that you will find are in the:
- diseqc: Sends various diseqc sequences on a SAT frontend.
- set22k: Legacy tone switching for SAT frontends.
- setvoltage: Legacy voltage switching for SAT frontends.
- setpid: Set video and audio PIDs in the demux (only for hardware MPEG decoder)
- video: tiny video watching application
- test_sections: Hex dump of section data from stream.
- test_sec_ne: Like test_sections, but also test Not-Equal filter mode.
- test_pes: Hex dump of PES data from stream.
- test_tt: Demonstrate teletext decoding from PES data.
- test_av: Test audio and video MPEG decoder API.
- test_vevent: Test VIDEO_GET_EVENT and poll() for video events
- test_stc: Test DMX_GET_STC.
- test_stillimage: Display single iframes as stillimages
- test_dvr: Record a partial transport stream of selected PIDs to a file or a full stream if supported by the hardware
- loadkeys: a utility to setup IR control keymaps using /proc/av7110_ir interface
- scan, scandvb or dvbscan: utility to generate channel lists for the currently tuned frequency.
- azap, czap, szap, tzap: tuning utility for DVB.
- See "Testing your DVB device" for usage examples of some of these tools.