[linux-dvb] Re: burning SVCD

Hello all,

I viewed a recorded stream on my DVD Player! Here is my complete success
story and every used version:

I checked out the DVB module yesterday and tried your remux program with
a stream (from SuperRTL) generated already before by the latest driver
package (siemens_dvb-0.8.tar.gz plus gVideo/record) but this should not
make a big difference to the newest of the CVS module...  I have a
Hauppauge DVB-s.

I used streamcutter0.92 (java2/v1.3) to get a clean start and end of the
stream.

Next I used remux (head of output below):
wolfi@wolfis:/home/wolfi > DVB/apps/mpegtools/remux
Ppanter.pva_cut_33.41 2324 2 > Ppanter.pva_remux
Reading Ppanter.pva_cut_33.41
Package size: 2324
Videostream: ASPECT: 4:3  Size = 480x576  FRate: 25 fps  BRate: 15.00
Mbit/s
Audiostream: Layer: 2  BRate: 192 kb/s  Freq: 48.0 kHz
Video start PTS = 4949.240822s
Audio start PTS = 4948.527389s
Difference Video - Audio =
0.713433s

The result was approx. 770MB in size.

To use vcdimager-0.5.9alpha1 I patched libvcd/vcd.c at line 364:
       if (end < 0)
        end = begin+(23*60)+16;
        /*end = vcd_mpeg_get_timecode (buf);*/
So the endtime was fixed to begin plus 23min 16sec, otherwise vcdimage
always told me that the end was before begin. This is a brute-force
hack, just because I wanted to continue....

I started vcdimager:
vcdimager -t svcd Ppanter.pva_remux

Now I had a image (820MB in size) which I burned with cdrdao 1.1.4 and a
TEAC CD-R56S on a 80min CD with a little bit overburning....

My first tries on the PC failed (e.g. WinDVD) - then I just put it just
in my DVD Player (Cyberhome AD-N212).

The player wrote 'PBC ON     CHAOJI VCD' and played it - with good A/V
sync and quality!
Some small problem - the time counter on the player was completely wrong
... it seems that vcdimage just used the timeinfo of the original
stream... Maybe a feature in the remux to overwrite the time information
starting at 0:00 would be very useful. But for this I have too less
knowledge of MPEG2.

Thanks for this great tool!

Next I try channels using 720x576 or other resolutions with my player...

Bye,

Wolfgang

"Marcus O.C. Metzler" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> if you check out the latest version of remux (attention: av_pes2any is
> now mpegtools) you will find, that it works better now, but is not yet
> perfect. I tried creating an SVCD with remux and vcdimager (version
> 0.5.9alpha1). vcdimager didn't not complain and WinDVD (arrgh I had to
> boot the other OS) recognizes the SVCD burned with cdrdao and plays it
> (yuhu). Then I tried it on my Yamakawa and nothing happens (doh). The
> Yamakawa recognizes an SVCD, but it doesn't play it.
> So I tried Nero to burn the remuxed file (again that rebooting
> stuff). That also works with WinDVD, but nothing happens on the
> Yamakawa.
> I tried it with 2 different MPEG2 files. One was created with the BMK kfir
> MPEG encoder hardware set to the correct SVCD specs and the other was
> recorded with the DVB card with slightly incorrect resolution and
> sound, of course. WinDVD played both, Yamakawa doesn't like them.
>
> Anyone got any idea why this happens? How could I test the SVCD to
> find the error?
>
> Marcus

> Dr. Marcus Metzler
> mocm@netcologne.de                     http://www.metzlerbros.de