[linux-dvb] Multiplexing vs. new driver API

Klaus Schmidinger writes:
 > As far as I understand the new API, it delivers video and audio
 > through two separate devices, and can also replay the two data streams
 > through separate devices. Does this mean that the occasional video
 > and/or audio glitches that were caused by the non-optimal multiplexing
 > in the old driver are no longer going to be a problem with the new
 > API - or are the two data streams remultiplexed "behind" the two devices,
 > before the data is sent to the DVB card (and thus still have the same
 > problems)?

It doesn't deliver through /dev/ost/video or audio. You have to get
the TS from  /dev/ost/dvr or set PES filters. The other 2 devices are
only for playback. Since we have to reconstruct the TS in the driver
(not for the budget cards), you will still have the muxing
problems. For playback you don't have to write into separate devices,
you can write the muxed PS/PES stream into /dev/ost/video. There is no
muxing magic behind the devices. Have a look at tuxplayer or
ntuxplayer for playback of PS/PES and at ntuxplayer for playback of TS
(there are 2 ways to do that).

 > If this were the case, I wouldn't have to bother remultiplexing the
 > data in VDR ;-)

Sorry, no such luck.

Marcus

Dr. Marcus Metzler