[linux-dvb] AW: how to build a very slim and powersaving linux VDR?

Hello Florian,

> iam new here - so - its fine to be in here!
> i started to work with linux only some month ago and i love this system! u
> can do nearly everything with it - if u are good enough. i am not
> very good
> so far, but i try to learn a lot.
Sound very familiar to me :-)

I think I know what's your problem. There are still some modules missing.
If you start a "make insmod" in /DVB/driver, this make calls an other "make
insmod" command in /DVB/ost/src. If you also load this modules it should
work. So your script should look like this:

> #!/bin/sh
> # Source function library.
> . /etc/rc.d/init.d/functions
>

> # See how we were called.
> case "$1" in
>   start)
> 	echo -n "Starting DVB Video4Linux: "
# These modules are locate in /DVB/ost/src. I suppose to copy all
# modules to /lib/modules/2.4.0/misc. Also Boot_up.axf, Dpram and Root
# should be placed there.
insmod dvbdev.o
insmod demux.o
insmod dmx.o
insmod video.o
insmod audio.o
insmod sec.o
insmod frontend.o
insmod ca.o
> 	insmod i2c-core
> 	insmod videodev
> 	insmod saa7146_core mode=0
> 	insmod saa7146_v4l
> 	insmod VES1893
> 	insmod VES1820
> 	insmod dmxdev
> 	insmod dvb_demux
> 	insmod dvb init_chan=2
> 	insmod tuner
> 	echo
> 	touch /var/lock/subsys/dvbvid
> 	;;
>   stop)
> 	echo -n "Shutting down DVB Video4Linux: "
> 	rmmod tuner
> 	rmmod dvb
> 	rmmod dvb_demux
> 	rmmod dmxdev
> 	rmmod VES1893
> 	rmmod VES1820
> 	rmmod saa7146_v4l
> 	rmmod saa7146_core
> 	rmmod videodev
> 	rmmod i2c-core
Same modules as above.
> 	echo
> 	rm -f /var/lock/subsys/dvbvid
> 	;;
>      restart)
> 	$0 stop
> 	$0 start
> 	;;
>   *)
> 	echo "Usage: dvbvid {start|stop|restart}"
> 	exit 1
> esac
>
> exit 0
I hope this should work :-)

> that didn't work so i changed it to:
> #!/bin/sh
> # Source function library.
> . /etc/rc.d/init.d/functions
> 	cd /opt/DVB/driver/
> 	make insmod
This works because the additional modules are made by a second
make insmod. Just type a "lsmod" and you should see a list of
all loaded modules.

> this works but it takes long on every bootup! does anyone have an solution
> for that?
See above. It would be even easier to implement the correct order in
the vdr program. If you have activated the autoloader feature of the kernel,
than vdr should load the modules itself. Unfortunatly this does not work,
because the modules are not initialized in the correct order in vdr. I.e.
if vdr calls a module, that is not allready loaded, then the kernel loads
this module. If there are modules which depend on other modules, then this
modules are loaded too (see modules.dep).
So if you start vdr without loading the modules before (i.e. with insmod),
the vdr hangs up. I tried to manipulate the modules.dep in order to achieve
the correct order. It nearly worked. Only one module (tuner.o) was missing.
So if the init procdure in vdr is updated in that way, then you will only
have to start vdr to get things running.

> thx for any help!
You are welcome.

cu Jens

---