[linux-dvb] Re: OT: MPEG->DivX

At 09:53 10.04.2001, Jörg-Oliver Todamm wrote:

[streamtype]
>Oh, yes. A very good question.

I'm always using the "mplex"ed (MPEG2) stream

>FlaskMPEG can only process ES and PS streams AFAIK. DVD2AVI is more
>robust, you can also view the PES generated by VDR, but you get a lot of
>disortions becasue DVD2AVI is not aware of the additional information.

I've tried DVD2AVI, but I have better results with Flask, if the files
are smaller.
My problem with the smaller files is, that Flask doesn't output
sound data from the second file on, of my recordings.

>I yust remember that Flask died whey I tried to use other MPEG stream
>types than ES / PS.

I know that :-(

>Best is to re-multiplex with "mplex -t MPEG2 -o <outfilename>
><infilename>". It is part of the DVB-S driver. But you need some space

that's what I usually do

>for temporary data, approximately additional 1.1 times the space. So if
>your file is, let's say, 5GB, you will need about 10,5 GB. Best would be
>to multiple diskdrives. One with the source file, one for the temporary
>data and one for the final file.

Yes, my problem is beeing harder, when more files come now on this disk.
Before i don't know, how to convert these files with best results, I
would let them stay on the disk.

>Therefore I stay with VDRs filesize of 1GB. If you have one large MPEG
>file, you can use vstrip or DVTool to split it at GOP size. You will
>find them at Doom9 webpage.

I'll try it again with these standard 1GB Files...

Mario