[linux-dvb] Re: DVD Player on DVB (was Many thanks to all)

Hi all,

FIRST: VDR is very good ... my box is running now for several month without major problems.
So i don't want to affront anyone ( specially not Klaus and Matjaz ) with this mail
.... but i have an idea ,-)

How about to combinate all single pojects around DVBs in one framework.
The functionality is implemented in PlugIns (Modules) loaded dynamicaly at runtime by the framework

Projects i would like to see in the Framework:
- vdr
- dvdplayer
- lcdproc (i hate patching)
- kvdr
- ... (i know ... many more)

The idea:
A framework supporting pure-virtual interfaces (C++?) for items:
- A Movie
- Main-Menu
- Timer
- Devices (DVD, CD, Links, ...)

All projects will be reimplemented as modules (Plug-In) for the framework.
Each item can support own interfaces.

So new Plug-in can be:
- Input (keyboard, lirc, none)
  -> no problem for daemon-mode
  -> support for different irc : a litte one (like now), a big one with more function-buttons (for direct-access of the record-list, ...)

- Commands per item
  -> create mpeg and burn a cd on a item

- Different Sceen-Displays
  -> if you see a humax-screen-display ... some features i would like to see in vdr too ,-)
  -> higher screen-resolution in menues

Open for new reimplementations:
- Storing of records
  I would like to store all repeating records in a  own submenu

- ....

Advantage:
- From User-View : one package .. expandable by new PlugIns
  -> How about a nice configurator ?
- Different implementations of a feature is possible (see Commands, Display, Record-Storing)
- Developer can access a stable framework for their idea and must not start from the beginning
- Stable-PlugIns for creating SVCD, ....

Disadvantage:
- A lot of work
- specially  Klaus and Matjaz must like the idea and support it
  (sorry to all other not named here !)

I am developing commercial software for serveral years know,
so my opinion is: a dynamic module-concept would be better for furthur features and development.
I would support  the new framework development.

I hope you understand my idea (ok ... my english is not the best ... i know 8-) ).

Hoping for positiv replies...
Stephan.