[linux-dvb] Re: Rebuilding index.vdr files

> To turn VDR recordings into (X)SVCDs WITHOUT RE-ENCODING would
> still be VERY interesting. Can you post a HOWTO?
So this is still Windows based :-)
I think someone posted a way under Linux some time ago - which was with re-encoding, but I guess it could be easily adapted to be done without ...

So here is how i do it:

(1.) Use PVAstrumento to "fix" and demux the stream -> you get separate .mp2 and .mpv
(2.) use bbmpeg to Multiplex .mpv and .mp2 with MPEG2 Settings at a Packsize of 2324 bytes (important for SVCD!) -> .mpg
(3.) Use M2Edit (or some other MPG2 Editing Program) to cut out advertises and make pieces that fit on CD-R - here you should choose "frame accurate" which makes it possible to cut the video at each frame (not only at the I-Frames) and M2Edit does only re-encode a few frames at the cut-boundary, so that the MPEG2 structure is still intact. All other frames are simply passed through. This makes it very efficient and fast ! -> one or more .mpg files
(4.) Use Nero Burning Rom to burn those babies directly onto CD-R as a SVCD

That's it, as long as you use VDR <= 0.5 or use Windows Software to record !!
As far as I understood, since VDR >0.5 the recorded format has changed, so one has to convert the recorded file, so that PVAstrumento can read this:
(0.) use "ps2av_pes 001.vdr > avpes.mpeg"
I have not tried this so far, but Matthias told me that it works (see Thread "Using a low-budget card as a secondary card." for details)
I'll soon try this myself...

This way I convert StarTrek Voyager to be on 2 (X)SVCDs with the same quality as it was broadcast !
And I plan to put them onto DVD-R, if the price falls for the DVD-R Media !

> What DVD player do you have?
None at the moment :-( That's why I'm looking for an easy way to play XSVCD - some time ago I used the SigmaDesigns Hollywood+ Hardware MPEG Decoder Card under Windows to watch those *VCDs on the TV - but now since I changed the OS to Linux its not that easy !

Thanks for the script - I'll try that soon!

Martin.