[linux-dvb] Re: Imageproblem with kvdr

On Mon, 23 Apr 2001 21:02:36 +0200, Guido Fiala <gfiala@s.netic.de>
wrote:

> Are you sure that it's not just the interlacing problem of "standard"
> tv-transmissions? (e.g. the NTV-news ticker is horrible, in opposite watch
> some recent movie's as they are typically transmitted in full-frame mode,
> they should be clear.)

Itīs definitely no de-interlacing problem. Such problems show up as
alternate lines not perfectly aligned when an object is moving. Here it
looks a bit different. Short horizontal line fragments a few pixel long
are not at the right position. At the position they should appear you
see fragments of similar length either black or of other color. It's
hard to describe.

It may be some delay the VIA chipset introduces.

> I've observed the same with old S3-968, then with Mach64 and now with
> Voodoo3000 - always thought it's just the interlacing as i have it with Bt878
> too (and it's nothing special to fullscreen-mode, you can just see it better
> then).

Are using a board with VIA chipset?
I have seen de-interlacing artefacts with a WinTV card and it looks
definitely different.

> If your graphics card has a TVout, so that you can display the monitor image
> at a TVset you will probably not see the stripes where at the same time they
> are visible at your monitor because a TVset has long not that sharp an image.

As it is the same resolution it should be visible. It is not a slight
distortion, it is very severe.

> It's really a pity that DVB is not used to it's full performance, aka HDTV
> and multiple audio-pid's for any movie :-(

I think this has nothing to do with our problem. But you are right. The
DVB standard could also be used to tramsmit better quality. I.e, to
transmit interlaced frames with progressive flag set for movies. So we
have to live with analog interlaced images which have to be
de-interlaced to progressive images by expensive scalers.

Emil