[linux-dvb] Re: Tuning survey DTV - What features are needed ???

Johannes Schoeller <schoeller@gmx.at> said:
> hi rolf!
>
> as i made some thoughts about tuning (channel scanning), and
> had read some of the tuning problems about (i think) dw-tv
> and/or cnn i had the following idea:
>
> on my "normal" sat receiver (analog + digital) i could set an
> offset for the frequencies depending on my installation.
> this sometimes improved picture quality (and maybe will
> improve tuning of the dvb-s).

Are you thinking of a static offset for each channel ??? That should be no
problem to implement, but I doubt that it would improve anything...
I currently have implemented a similar zig-zag-scan algorithm as the driver
uses...maybe changing the step size with an option might help with tuning
problems ???

> see what i mean? we all use the same frequencies for tuning.
> signal quality is good, and signal level as well. but if
> the tuner tries to lock on the "wrong" frequency that could
> sometimes make a problem.

I think the problem is the detection...if the driver (or the chips behind it)
would always correctly detect a failed lock, the application could think
about strategies to overcome this...but IMO the detection mechanism is not
very accurate...(maybe depends on the tuner chip)

> so i think maybe your working frequ/channel search could be
> adapted to the vdr channel format.

That's no problem, it's on my list...

Regards,

Rolf