[linux-dvb] Strange output from /dev/video

Marcus Daniel writes:
 > Hi all,
 >
 > something strange is going on on my box... probably I just missed some simple
 > configuration option....
 >
 > When I try to grab a normal videostream out of /dev/video I get "funny"
 > colors and a quite "snowy "picture. It seems like there is only red and green
 > to the picture and there are only ghostly movements...
 >
 > N-tv on the TV-output of the card looks fine. I have an "old" Hauppauge DVB-S.
 >
 > What am I doing wrong ?

Maybe you are using the wrong color format or the SAA7146 is
delivering the wrong one?
I did not test all color formats of the SAA driver. There are
newer versions of the driver available from the auhthor (Michael
Hunold) but I did not move to that one yet because it only supports
V4L2.

The "snow" and "ghostly movements" can be caused by PCI transfer
problems on your motherboard, typically on those with VIA chipsets.
The newer kernels make some latency adjustments on some VIA chipsets.
Before that we also had problems on our VIA board. They are gone now.

Ralph